"Generally speaking, men are influenced by books which clarify their own thought, which express their own notions well, or which suggest to them ideas which their minds are already predisposed to accept."
—Carl Lotus Becker (1873-1945) American historian
- Salmond to quit after Scots vote No Fri, 19 Sep 2014 21:24:04 GMT
- Alex Salmond is to step down as first minister of Scotland and Scottish National Party leader after voters rejected independence in Thursday's referendum.
- Queen urges referendum 'respect' Fri, 19 Sep 2014 18:12:13 GMT
- The Queen says she believes Scotland will unite in a "spirit of mutual respect and support" following the independence referendum.
- Ukraine deal with eastern rebels Fri, 19 Sep 2014 23:57:49 GMT
- The Ukrainian government and pro-Russian rebels agree a memorandum on a peace plan for the conflict in the east of the country at talks in Minsk.
- Russian jets intercepted off Alaska Fri, 19 Sep 2014 23:40:33 GMT
- Six Russian fighter jets are intercepted by American and Canadian planes off the coast of Alaska on Wednesday, US defence officials confirm.
- New Zealand votes in 'dirtiest' poll Fri, 19 Sep 2014 21:16:15 GMT
- Voters in New Zealand begin voting after what is being called the dirtiest campaign in the nation's history.
- Guilty plea in US embassy bombings Fri, 19 Sep 2014 17:14:51 GMT
- An Egyptian man accused of helping to plan the 1998 bombings of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania pleads guilty in a New York court.
- Kerry says Iran can help defeat IS Fri, 19 Sep 2014 21:03:14 GMT
- US Secretary of State John Kerry says Iran has a role to play in the fight against Islamic State despite not being part of the US-led coalition.
- ICC summons Kenya leader to hearing Fri, 19 Sep 2014 21:33:50 GMT
- The International Criminal Court orders Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta to appear on 8 October, over claims his government obstructed prosecutors.
- Alibaba shares surge on NY debut Fri, 19 Sep 2014 20:31:24 GMT
- Alibaba's shares closed significantly above their initial price on the New York Stock Exchange on Friday, a sign of the excitement surrounding the Chinese internet giant.
- Catalonia approves independence vote Fri, 19 Sep 2014 21:30:16 GMT
- Catalonia's parliament votes to give its leader the power to call a secession consultation, a move the Spanish government has criticised.
- NFL boss sorry over abuse scandals Fri, 19 Sep 2014 21:01:08 GMT
- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says he 'got it wrong' in dealing with issues of domestic violence that have plagued the league over the past weeks.
- Ukraine exits next year's Eurovision Fri, 19 Sep 2014 15:32:38 GMT
- Ukraine announces it will not take part in the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest due to financial constraints.
- VIDEO: Guinea Ebola team found killed Fri, 19 Sep 2014 20:21:27 GMT
- Eight members of a team trying to raise awareness about Ebola have been killed by villagers using machetes and clubs in Guinea, officials say.
- VIDEO: US jet in emergency landing Fri, 19 Sep 2014 13:12:04 GMT
- A JetBlue airlines A-320 flying over California has been forced to make an emergency landing when an engine problem caused smoke to enter the aircraft's cabin.
- VIDEO: Madrid opposes Catalan referendum Fri, 19 Sep 2014 18:39:32 GMT
- The Spanish government in Madrid says a referendum in Catalonia would be illegal under the national constitution.