"If you will protest courageously, and yet with dignity and Christian love, when the history books are written in future generations, the historians will have to pause and say, There lived a great people-a black people-who injected new meaning and dignity into the veins of civilization."
—Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-68) African-American reverend, civil rights leader
- Brown vows to 'lock in' Scots powers Sat, 20 Sep 2014 12:09:31 GMT
- Gordon Brown says his promise of further powers for Scotland will be delivered to the timetable set out ahead of the independence referendum.
- Turkish hostages in Iraq released Sat, 20 Sep 2014 12:05:28 GMT
- Dozens of Turkish hostages seized by militants in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul in June are freed and brought back to Turkey.
- Paratroops mark Arnhem WW2 battle Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:59:43 GMT
- Paratroops from Europe and the US are staging parachute jumps in the Netherlands to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Arnhem.
- Ukraine deal with eastern rebels Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:50:41 GMT
- The Ukrainian government and pro-Russian rebels agree a memorandum on a peace plan for the conflict in the east of the country, at talks in Minsk.
- French farmers torch tax office Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:49:30 GMT
- Angry French vegetable farmers protesting against falling living standards burn down tax and insurance offices in a Brittany town.
- NZ governing party wins elections Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:56:25 GMT
- New Zealand's governing National Party, led by Prime Minister John Key, wins an emphatic election victory, near-complete results show.
- Russian jets intercepted off Alaska Fri, 19 Sep 2014 23:40:33 GMT
- Six Russian fighter jets are intercepted by American and Canadian planes off the coast of Alaska on Wednesday, US defence officials confirm.
- Tipsy Australian 'repels' crocodile Sat, 20 Sep 2014 09:08:55 GMT
- An Australian hunter says he fought off a crocodile by poking the reptile in the eye, admitting he was tipsy during the attack.
- Imams in hostage video appeal to IS Sat, 20 Sep 2014 00:48:34 GMT
- Two high-profile imams in the UK make a direct appeal to Islamic State militants to free Alan Henning, a UK hostage threatened with death.
- Intruder sparks White House alert Sat, 20 Sep 2014 04:28:29 GMT
- Secret Service agents briefly evacuate part of the White House after an intruder was spotted running through the grounds.
- UK couple missing after hurricane Sat, 20 Sep 2014 02:10:08 GMT
- A British couple are reported missing off the Mexican coast after Hurricane Odile hit the country last weekend.
- PM wants Home Rule leader honoured Sat, 20 Sep 2014 08:59:41 GMT
- The Irish prime minister has given his support to calls for a new memorial to honour of the leader of the Irish Home Rule movement, John Redmond.
- VIDEO: Apple fans queue for new iPhone 6 Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:30:53 GMT
- Apple's new gadget the iPhone 6 has gone on sale around the world - but many customers have been queuing for days to get their hands on the new device
- VIDEO: River dwellers fear for their future Fri, 19 Sep 2014 23:01:05 GMT
- A government immigration census in Cambodia has members of the ethnic Vietnamese community living on the Tonlé Sap river fearing for their future.
- VIDEO: Metal ballet meets Games of Thrones Fri, 19 Sep 2014 23:01:02 GMT
- Brutal Ballet performed a Games of Thrones inspired piece at TitanCon, a science fiction and fantasy convention in Belfast.