"Wherever they burn books, they will also, in the end, burn people."
—Heinrich Heine (1797-1856) German writer, romantic poet, social essays
- Crimea army base stand-off 'ends' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 21:45:33 GMT
- Pro-Russian soldiers reportedly briefly take over a Ukrainian military base outside Sevastopol, as tensions continue on the Crimean peninsula.
- Pistorius 'fired gun in anger' - ex Fri, 07 Mar 2014 14:53:57 GMT
- An ex-girlfriend tells the Oscar Pistorius trial that he fired a gun from a car, as a security guard tells of the shock of finding him with a dying Reeva Steenkamp.
- Winter Paralympics open in Sochi Fri, 07 Mar 2014 19:46:36 GMT
- The 2014 Winter Paralympics are opened by Russian president Vladimir Putin in a spectacular ceremony in Sochi.
- Sarkozy phone 'tapped by judges' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 15:59:19 GMT
- Ex-French President Nicolas Sarkozy has had his phone tapped on the orders of judges investigating alleged Libyan donations, it is claimed.
- Brotherhood 'terrorists', say Saudis Fri, 07 Mar 2014 19:03:45 GMT
- Saudi Arabia designates the Muslim Brotherhood a terrorist organisation, along with two jihadist groups fighting with the Syrian rebels.
- S Africa expels Rwanda diplomats Fri, 07 Mar 2014 22:24:11 GMT
- South Africa expels three Rwandan diplomats in connection with an attack on the home of an exiled Rwandan dissident, diplomatic sources say.
- ICC convicts Congo militia leader Fri, 07 Mar 2014 12:54:06 GMT
- The International Criminal Court finds Congo militia leader Germain Katanga guilty of complicity in war crimes but acquits him of sexual offences.
- Facebook's WhatsApp purchase opposed Fri, 07 Mar 2014 14:48:36 GMT
- Facebook's purchase of WhatsApp - one of the biggest ever tech acquisitions - runs into trouble over privacy concerns.
- Boeing checks 787s for wing cracks Fri, 07 Mar 2014 22:48:23 GMT
- Boeing checks Dreamliner planes under production for potential "hairline cracks" in their wings.
- Birmingham City owner Yeung jailed Fri, 07 Mar 2014 15:08:40 GMT
- Birmingham City owner Carson Yeung is jailed for six years by a Hong Kong court for money laundering.
- Turkey PM warns social media sites Fri, 07 Mar 2014 12:21:53 GMT
- Turkey's Prime Minister Erdogan says his government could ban Facebook and YouTube, amid leaks suggesting government corruption.
- Canada condom piercer verdict upheld Fri, 07 Mar 2014 17:39:01 GMT
- The Canadian Supreme Court upholds the sexual assault conviction of a man who poked holes in the condoms he wore during sex with his girlfriend.
- VIDEO: Composer admits lying about deafness Fri, 07 Mar 2014 18:02:07 GMT
- Mamoru Samuragochi, one of Japan's most famous composers, officially apologises for pretending to be deaf. He was exposed last month by a music teacher, who also claimed that he wrote all of his music for him in secret for 18 years.
- VIDEO: Rubbish piles up on Rio streets Fri, 07 Mar 2014 22:14:20 GMT
- Rio Carnival officially ended on Wednesday but piles of rubbish left on the city's streets are still waiting be collected.
- VIDEO: 'Marry me!' Harry heckled at Wembley Fri, 07 Mar 2014 16:38:11 GMT
- Prince Harry has taken to the stage at Wembley Arena to address 12,000 young people taking part in the first We Day UK.