"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it."
—James Bryce (1838-1922) British diplomat, historian, known as First Viscount Bryce of Dechmont
- VIDEO: Rubbish piles up on Rio streets Fri, 07 Mar 2014 22:14:20 GMT
- Rio Carnival officially ended on Wednesday but piles of rubbish left on the city's streets are still waiting be collected.
- VIDEO: Tension in Caracas as clashes continue Sat, 08 Mar 2014 09:10:41 GMT
- Clashes have broken out again on the streets of the Venezuelan capital, Caracas.
- VIDEO: Composer admits lying about deafness Fri, 07 Mar 2014 18:02:07 GMT
- Mamoru Samuragochi, one of Japan's most famous composers, officially apologises for pretending to be deaf. He was exposed last month by a music teacher, who also claimed that he wrote all of his music for him in secret for 18 years.
- VIDEO: 'Marry me!' Harry heckled at Wembley Fri, 07 Mar 2014 16:38:11 GMT
- Prince Harry has taken to the stage at Wembley Arena to address 12,000 young people taking part in the first We Day UK.
- Nuclear fallout bunker for sale Sat, 08 Mar 2014 15:39:05 GMT
- A Cold War-era nuclear fallout bunker in the Derbyshire countryside is up for auction.
- Great Walls 'could stop tornadoes' Sat, 08 Mar 2014 03:27:49 GMT
- Building gigantic walls across the US could protect Tornado Alley "forever", a physicist says, though critics say the idea is unworkable.
- US economy adds 175,000 new jobs Fri, 07 Mar 2014 15:22:48 GMT
- The US economy added 175,000 jobs in February, figures show, but the unemployment rate rose to 6.7%.
- Landmark default in China solar firm Fri, 07 Mar 2014 06:36:07 GMT
- Chaori Solar becomes the first Chinese firm to default on its onshore corporate bonds, say media reports quoting the firm, after failing to make an interest payment.
- Facebook's WhatsApp purchase opposed Fri, 07 Mar 2014 14:48:36 GMT
- Facebook's purchase of WhatsApp - one of the biggest ever tech acquisitions - runs into trouble over privacy concerns.
- Samsung launches free music streaming Fri, 07 Mar 2014 21:25:14 GMT
- The world's biggest smartphone maker, Samsung, launches a free music streaming service called Milk Music.
- Tartt and Atwood vie for book award Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:48:13 GMT
- Margaret Atwood, Donna Tartt and Booker winner Eleanor Catton are among the novelists longlisted for this year's Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction.
- Washington set for Grey's Anatomy Fri, 07 Mar 2014 11:52:47 GMT
- Actor Isaiah Washington is to return to US medical drama Grey's Anatomy, seven years after he was fired from the show after using a gay slur.
- Tree storm damage 'worst since 1987' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 09:52:48 GMT
- This winter's extreme winds caused the biggest loss of trees in in more than 20 years, according to the National Trust.
- 'Careless farming adding to floods' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 02:24:27 GMT
- The UK government is discussing new rules to stop farmers contributing to flooding through poor land management.
- Malaria 'spreading to new altitudes' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 01:13:24 GMT
- Warmer temperatures are causing malaria to spread in the African and South American highlands, traditionally havens from the disease, scientists say.