"Generally speaking, men are influenced by books which clarify their own thought, which express their own notions well, or which suggest to them ideas which their minds are already predisposed to accept."
—Carl Lotus Becker (1873-1945) American historian
- Two rockets hit southern Beirut Sun, 26 May 2013 06:41:45 GMT
- Two rockets hit a Hezbollah-run area of Beirut, hours after the Lebanese Shia group's leader promised victory for his fighters in neighbouring Syria.
- Hunt for French soldier's attacker Sun, 26 May 2013 03:51:49 GMT
- French police are hunting a man who attacked a soldier on patrol with two colleagues in the La Defense business district of Paris on Saturday evening.
- Gandhi 'devastated' by India ambush Sun, 26 May 2013 06:03:21 GMT
- The head of India's Congress Party, Sonia Gandhi, says she is "devastated" by an attack on party officials in Chhattisgarh, which left 23 people dead.
- Italians vote in local elections Sun, 26 May 2013 06:57:56 GMT
- Italians go to the polls in two days of local elections seen as a test for the new coalition government, with the focus on Rome's mayoral vote.
- Borussia Dortmund 1-2 Bayern Munich Sat, 25 May 2013 21:43:13 GMT
- Arjen Robben scores a dramatic late winner as Bayern Munich beat Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League final.
- Thousands complete Boston Marathon Sat, 25 May 2013 23:39:14 GMT
- Thousands of runners complete the final mile of Boston Marathon, five weeks after they were forced to abandon the race after two bombs exploded.
- Brazil 'cancels' most African debt Sat, 25 May 2013 21:30:13 GMT
- Brazil says it will cancel or restructure almost $900m (£600m) worth of debt owed by African countries, to boost economic ties with the continent.
- Pakistan bus fire kills 16 children Sat, 25 May 2013 11:07:22 GMT
- At least 16 children and a teacher are killed in a fire on their school bus in the eastern Pakistan city of Gujrat, police say.
- 'Black widow' bombing in Russia Sat, 25 May 2013 15:16:48 GMT
- A suicide bomber has blown herself up close to an interior ministry building in the southern Russian republic of Dagestan, officials say.
- 'Mafia martyr' Puglisi beatified Sat, 25 May 2013 10:04:22 GMT
- More than 50,000 people attend the beatification in Sicily of Don Giuseppe Puglisi, a Roman Catholic priest murdered by the mafia in 1993.
- French army in major Mali pullout Sat, 25 May 2013 11:33:03 GMT
- France begins a key stage of its military withdrawal from Mali, four months after sending troops to push Islamist rebels out of the north.
- Rogers returns to football at Galaxy Sat, 25 May 2013 22:44:49 GMT
- Robbie Rogers returns to football by signing for MLS side LA Galaxy, three months after announcing he is gay.
- Apple 1 from 1976 sells for $650,000 Sat, 25 May 2013 16:41:39 GMT
- An original Apple 1 computer from 1976 - one of the first built in Steve Jobs' garage - sells at auction for more than 500,000 euros ($650,000).
- In pictures: Clown Day in Lima Sat, 25 May 2013 23:05:56 GMT
- Hundreds of professional clowns celebrate Clown Day in the Peruvian capital, Lima
- VIDEO: Police probe fatal tiger attack Sat, 25 May 2013 20:05:01 GMT
- The death of a zoo worker attacked by a tiger could have been due to "human or technical factors", police said.