"Let us welcome controversial books and controversial authors."
—John Fitzgerald Kennedy (1917-63) 35th US President, Democrat, politician
- VIDEO: Africa Beats: Afrikaans rapper Jaak Thu, 23 May 2013 23:37:57 GMT
- The Afrikaans rapper, Jaak, uses hip-hop to raise the consciousness of his people, whom he calls the ''brown'' underclass of Paarl in South Africa.
- VIDEO: First halal food fair for Sarajevo Fri, 24 May 2013 16:01:50 GMT
- Food lovers and businessmen attend Sarajevo's first ever halal food fair, set up in response to a rise in demand for halal food products in the wider Balkans region and beyond in recent years.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Fri, 24 May 2013 18:29:19 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Black bear roams Los Angeles suburb Thu, 23 May 2013 14:51:31 GMT
- Aerial footage shot by Los Angeles police shows a black bear on the loose in a Los Angeles suburb before it was caught by wildlife officials.
- VIDEO: King wins first female Gershwin prize Thu, 23 May 2013 09:37:47 GMT
- Singer-songwriter Carole King has become the first female to win the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song.
- VIDEO: Openly gay US Boy Scouts allowed Fri, 24 May 2013 08:53:09 GMT
- The Boy Scouts of America organisation has voted to welcome openly gay scouts from January 2014, but a ban on openly gay adult scout leaders will remain in place.
- VIDEO: Iron Man 3 is a superhero in China Thu, 23 May 2013 08:38:00 GMT
- Disney's Iron Man 3 film is set to become China's highest-grossing film of all time, opening the door for more business from Hollywood.
- Germany reports sluggish growth Fri, 24 May 2013 08:53:22 GMT
- Germany's economy barely grew in the first quarter of the year, figures show, as private consumption helped offset shrinking exports and investment.
- News Corp to split in two on 28 June Fri, 24 May 2013 15:21:38 GMT
- News Corp announces it will officially split its publishing and entertainment businesses on 28 June, two years after the UK phone-hacking scandal involving the News of the World.
- Faltering Facebook phone is delayed Fri, 24 May 2013 11:46:41 GMT
- Social networking giant postpones the launch of its "Facebook phone" after negative feedback and disappointing sales.
- Amazon reveals fan fiction platform Fri, 24 May 2013 11:41:33 GMT
- Fan fiction authors will be able to publish and sell some titles in the US via new e-book platform Kindle Worlds.
- British hopefuls up for US TV awards Fri, 24 May 2013 09:34:02 GMT
- Damian Lewis and Sienna Miller are among the British stars nominated for the annual US Critics' Choice Awards.
- Thousands at author Achebe's funeral Thu, 23 May 2013 21:32:27 GMT
- Thousands of mourners attend the funeral of renowned Nigerian author Chinua Achebe in his home town of Ogidi in Anambra state.
- Cockroaches evolving to evade traps Fri, 24 May 2013 00:18:40 GMT
- Cockroaches are outsmarting our efforts to kill them by evolving to avoid the taste of sugar traps, a study reveals.
- Genetics of white tigers pinpointed Thu, 23 May 2013 16:23:12 GMT
- Chinese scientists trace the rare white colouration in Bengal tigers to a single change in a gene that affects a host of animals, including humans.