"'What is the use of a book,' thought Alice, 'without pictures or conversations?'"
—Lewis Carroll (1832-98) [Charles Lutwidge Dodgson] British mathematician, writer
- VIDEO: China's museum of roast duck Mon, 01 Sep 2014 23:58:25 GMT
- In 2013 China had a new museum open almost every day of the year on average, resulting in some slightly bizarre attractions
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Tue, 02 Sep 2014 11:15:18 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Footage of powerful solar flares Mon, 01 Sep 2014 01:44:43 GMT
- The US Space Agency Nasa has released new footage showing a series of powerful solar flares.
- VIDEO: Could Horseball gain Olympic glory? Mon, 01 Sep 2014 14:33:38 GMT
- Horseball, a mix of rugby and basketball, was invented in France in the 1970s, and now there are attempts to get it into the Olympics, as the BBC's Ollie Williams reports.
- VIDEO: Embracing animation in Africa Mon, 01 Sep 2014 13:57:20 GMT
- There are already animation studios in Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa, but only a very limited number of good schools teach art and animation techniques on the African continent.
- VIDEO: 'Hero' cat saves owner from fire Mon, 01 Sep 2014 14:16:32 GMT
- A tabby cat has been hailed a hero after she woke up her owner to alert him to a fire which destroyed his home in Melbourne, Australia.
- Cave yields Neanderthal 'artwork' Mon, 01 Sep 2014 20:41:59 GMT
- An engraving found at a cave in Gibraltar may be the most compelling evidence yet for Neanderthal art.
- Thieving monkey hands out money Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:20:01 GMT
- A monkey in the northern Indian state of Himachal Pradesh steals money from a home and rains down banknotes on people, reports say.
- Swiss economy stalls as EU slows Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:35:03 GMT
- Switzerland's economy failed to grow in the second quarter of the year, official figures show, with trade affected by stagnation in the rest of Europe.
- Mining tax repealed by Australia Tue, 02 Sep 2014 06:45:08 GMT
- Australia scraps a controversial mining tax after the government strikes a deal with business tycoon Clive Palmer's political party.
- Google 'discourages' old browser use Mon, 01 Sep 2014 14:28:47 GMT
- Google has started showing old versions of its search page to people using out-of-date versions of web browsers.
- VIDEO: FBI to investigate celebrity hacking Tue, 02 Sep 2014 00:59:23 GMT
- The FBI are investigating after many famous women have had their nude photographs posted online anonymously after being hacked.
- McDormand picks up Venice award Tue, 02 Sep 2014 08:49:42 GMT
- Oscar-winning actress Frances McDormand is honoured with the visionary talent award at the Venice Film Festival.
- Spain returns Colombian treasure Mon, 01 Sep 2014 23:08:27 GMT
- Spain returns to Colombia hundreds of indigenous artefacts that were seized from drug gangs in 2003, but later smuggled out of the country.
- How corals stir up their world Tue, 02 Sep 2014 00:57:27 GMT
- Corals stir up the water, creating vortices that draw in nutrients and drive away waste, research reveals.