"Go through your phone book, call people and ask them to drive you to the airport. The ones who will drive you are your true friends. The rest aren't bad people; they're just acquaintances."
—Jay Leno American comedian/ performer/ talk show host Tonight Show
- EU sets Russia sanctions ultimatum Sun, 31 Aug 2014 00:14:45 GMT
- The EU gives Russia one week to reverse course in Ukraine or face new sanctions, as Ukraine's leader talks of the "point of no return".
- Pakistan protesters in police clash Sat, 30 Aug 2014 22:57:28 GMT
- More than 250 are injured as police in Islamabad fire tear gas at protesters marching on the residence of Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif.
- 'Slow progress' in Iraq Amerli push Sat, 30 Aug 2014 21:52:08 GMT
- The Iraqi army, Shia militias and Kurdish fighters are reported to be making slow progress in breaking the siege of the Amerli town in the north.
- Iran anger over new US sanctions Sat, 30 Aug 2014 14:20:31 GMT
- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani criticises new US sanctions, saying they will harm negotiations over his country's nuclear programme.
- Lesotho PM flees 'military coup' Sat, 30 Aug 2014 14:53:50 GMT
- Lesotho's prime minister crosses into South Africa, accusing Lesotho's army of staging a coup and telling the BBC his life is in danger.
- El Salvador gangs re-launch truce Sat, 30 Aug 2014 19:45:45 GMT
- Leaders of five of El Salvador's powerful gangs say they will stop attacking police and military in a bid to re-launch a gang truce agreed two years ago.
- Philippine Syria troops 'attacked' Sat, 30 Aug 2014 15:58:49 GMT
- A group of Philippine peacekeepers trapped by rebels in the Syrian Golan Heights are "under attack", the Philippine defence minister says.
- Man charged over Galloway assault Sat, 30 Aug 2014 15:40:37 GMT
- A man is charged with religiously-aggravated assault after MP George Galloway was attacked in a west London street.
- Jews 'forced' from Guatemala village Sat, 30 Aug 2014 01:38:45 GMT
- Some 230 members of an Orthodox Jewish group begin leaving a village in western Guatemala after a bitter row with the local indigenous community.
- PM warns of terror threat to Europe Sat, 30 Aug 2014 18:20:14 GMT
- The terrorist threat posed by Islamist extremists is as much a concern for countries in mainland Europe as it is for the UK, David Cameron says.
- 'Forgotten' Swiss baby dies in car Sat, 30 Aug 2014 13:39:47 GMT
- A 16-month-old baby in Switzerland dies after one of its parents went to work forgetting that the child had been left in the car.
- First openly gay NFL player dropped Sat, 30 Aug 2014 21:03:24 GMT
- Michael Sam, the first openly gay player drafted into the National Football League, fails to make the final roster for the St Louis Rams.
- VIDEO: Long queues to leave Mariupol Sat, 30 Aug 2014 11:01:47 GMT
- The Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko is in Brussels to discuss the ongoing crisis in his country with EU leaders.
- VIDEO: Song of a four-storey 'earth harp' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:31:30 GMT
- William Close is the inventor of the 'Earth Harp', a musical instrument which makes use of the architecture around it to create its sound.
- VIDEO: Brazil dismantles Amazon 'destroyers' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 03:22:05 GMT
- Police in northern Brazil say they are in the process of dismantling one of the country's biggest environmental criminal gangs.