"[A] book ... unlike a television program, moving picture or any other 'modern means of communication' ... can wait for years, yet be available at any moment when it happens to be needed."
—Joseph Wood Krutch (1893-1970) American critic, natrualist, writer, The Modern Temper
- Voting begins in Scottish referendum Thu, 18 Sep 2014 09:04:23 GMT
- People in Scotland begin voting on whether the country should stay in the UK or become an independent nation.
- Australia in 'beheading plot' raids Thu, 18 Sep 2014 08:05:17 GMT
- Police carry out anti-terror raids in Sydney sparked by intelligence that Islamic extremists were planning random killings in Australia.
- US House approves Obama Syria plan Wed, 17 Sep 2014 23:47:05 GMT
- The US House of Representatives approves President Barack Obama's plan to train and arm the moderate Syrian opposition taking on Islamic State.
- NFL rocked by new violence arrest Thu, 18 Sep 2014 01:41:31 GMT
- Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer is arrested on suspicion of domestic violence, police say, the latest such incident to rock the NFL.
- Murder 'comes naturally' to chimps Thu, 18 Sep 2014 07:43:17 GMT
- A major international study finds that killings among chimpanzees result from normal competition, not human interference.
- Argentina tries 'baby theft' doctors Thu, 18 Sep 2014 06:48:21 GMT
- Medical staff go on trial in Argentina charged with kidnapping babies born in captivity to left-wing prisoners during military rule.
- Ukraine president in key US visit Thu, 18 Sep 2014 09:01:08 GMT
- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko is beginning a key visit to the US to seek further support to tackle what he describes as Russian aggression.
- No DNA matches in Thai murder probe Thu, 18 Sep 2014 09:28:17 GMT
- Thai police admit they are struggling to find the killers of two British tourists, after it emerged crime scene DNA did not match that of any suspect.
- Kate withdraws from Malta visit Thu, 18 Sep 2014 09:22:22 GMT
- The Duchess of Cambridge, who is pregnant with her second child, will not visit Malta this weekend on advice of doctors, Kensington Palace says.
- BBC team attacked in southern Russia Thu, 18 Sep 2014 09:01:56 GMT
- A BBC team is attacked in southern Russia after investigating reports of Russian servicemen killed near the border with Ukraine.
- China India sign landmark deals Thu, 18 Sep 2014 09:18:34 GMT
- India and China sign 12 agreements, one of which will see China investing $20bn in India's infrastructure over five years.
- Hiroshima artworks to go on show Thu, 18 Sep 2014 00:24:20 GMT
- Powerful and disturbing paintings by survivors of the 1945 atomic bomb in Hiroshima are to go on show outside Japan for the first time.
- VIDEO: China’s online shopping revolution Wed, 17 Sep 2014 23:52:53 GMT
- The Chinese internet giant Alibaba is set to raise billions on the US stock exchange and is expected to be one of the biggest share offerings in history.
- VIDEO: War ammo found in residential garage Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:05:42 GMT
- Munitions and other artefacts from World War One and World War Two have been found during a raid on a residential garage in St Albans, Hertfordshire.
- VIDEO: Politician recovering after bin stunt Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:10:43 GMT
- A politician has told Ukrainian TV he needs to recover "morally, physically and psychologically" after being dumped in a rubbish bin.