"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."
- 'Oil slick seen' in missing jet hunt Sat, 08 Mar 2014 19:19:49 GMT
- A Vietnamese plane spots possible oil slicks as the US joins Asian nations to search for a missing Malaysia Airlines jet carrying 239 people.
- Shots as Crimea observers stopped Sat, 08 Mar 2014 18:47:49 GMT
- Warning shots are fired as international observers are turned back from entering Crimea where pro-Russian forces have tightened their grip.
- Italy up in arms over David advert Sat, 08 Mar 2014 20:14:09 GMT
- Italy's culture minister expresses outrage over an advertisement by a US weapons firm showing Michelangelo's David holding a rifle.
- Libya threatens to bomb oil tanker Sat, 08 Mar 2014 19:39:35 GMT
- Libya's Prime Minister Ali Zeidan threatens to bomb a North Korean-flagged tanker if it tries to export oil from a rebel-controlled port.
- Thousands join Venezuela protest Sat, 08 Mar 2014 20:39:56 GMT
- Thousands of Venezuelan students and opposition supporters take part in an anti-government rally in the capital, Caracas, on Women's Day.
- Saudis and Qatar 'destabilise Iraq' Sat, 08 Mar 2014 21:53:51 GMT
- Iraq's Prime Minister Nouri Maliki accuses Saudi Arabia and Qatar of seeking to destabilise his country by supporting insurgent groups.
- Ukraine beat Russia to biathlon gold Sat, 08 Mar 2014 12:41:28 GMT
- Vitaliy Lukyanenko wins Ukraine's first gold at the Sochi Winter Paralympics, in the men's 7.5km visually impaired biathlon.
- Miliband in Afghan visit to troops Sat, 08 Mar 2014 21:22:32 GMT
- Labour leader Ed Miliband says he would support British military intervention in future conflicts if it was "in the national interest".
- VIDEO: Baby hippo born at Mexico City zoo Sat, 08 Mar 2014 19:25:48 GMT
- A baby hippo has been born at Mexico City's Chapultepec Zoo - the first in 16 years.
- VIDEO: On board a $300m superyacht Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:16:12 GMT
- Nima Abu Wardeh takes a tour of the most expensive superyacht currently on the market.
- VIDEO: 'Electronic lollipop' simulates taste Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:09:20 GMT
- Scientists at City University, London have developed a machine that they say is able to simulate taste.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sat, 08 Mar 2014 21:34:21 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Rubbish piles up on Rio streets Fri, 07 Mar 2014 22:14:20 GMT
- Rio Carnival officially ended on Wednesday but piles of rubbish left on the city's streets are still waiting be collected.
- VIDEO: Tension in Caracas as clashes continue Sat, 08 Mar 2014 09:10:41 GMT
- Clashes have broken out again on the streets of the Venezuelan capital, Caracas.
- VIDEO: Composer admits lying about deafness Fri, 07 Mar 2014 18:02:07 GMT
- Mamoru Samuragochi, one of Japan's most famous composers, officially apologises for pretending to be deaf. He was exposed last month by a music teacher, who also claimed that he wrote all of his music for him in secret for 18 years.