"[A] book ... unlike a television program, moving picture or any other 'modern means of communication' ... can wait for years, yet be available at any moment when it happens to be needed."
—Joseph Wood Krutch (1893-1970) American critic, natrualist, writer, The Modern Temper
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Mon, 01 Sep 2014 03:42:23 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Long queues to leave Mariupol Sat, 30 Aug 2014 11:01:47 GMT
- The Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko is in Brussels to discuss the ongoing crisis in his country with EU leaders.
- VIDEO: IRA ceasefire: 20 years on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 03:48:55 GMT
- Two decades ago the Provisional IRA announced a ceasefire that marked the end of a quarter of a century of what it called its "armed struggle".
- VIDEO: Song of a four-storey 'earth harp' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:31:30 GMT
- William Close is the inventor of the 'Earth Harp', a musical instrument which makes use of the architecture around it to create its sound.
- VIDEO: Brazil dismantles Amazon 'destroyers' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 03:22:05 GMT
- Police in northern Brazil say they are in the process of dismantling one of the country's biggest environmental criminal gangs.
- VIDEO: Meet Japan's Batman - Chibatman Mon, 01 Sep 2014 00:17:45 GMT
- The BBC's meets Chibatman - a Japanese man who dresses as Batman to make Japanese people smile and who has become an internet sensation
- Trapped horse hoisted to safety Sun, 31 Aug 2014 10:09:52 GMT
- Lifting equipment is used to free a horse which became trapped after trying to jump over a farm gate near Shrewsbury.
- Barclays sells Spanish businesses Sun, 31 Aug 2014 22:00:37 GMT
- Barclays Bank sells Spanish businesses for £633m to the country's third largest lender CaixaBank.
- Heineken sells Mexico packaging unit Mon, 01 Sep 2014 07:17:55 GMT
- Heineken sells its Mexican packaging business to US firm Crown Holdings in a deal worth $1.23bn (£740m).
- MSN Messenger to end after 15 years Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:48:01 GMT
- Microsoft's MSN Messenger will be switched off in China in October, bringing a final end to the 15-year-old service.
- Pupils begin 'tough' new curriculum Mon, 01 Sep 2014 01:33:38 GMT
- Teaching of a "tough" new national curriculum begins in England as children return to school this week.
- Bush sets new album chart record Sun, 31 Aug 2014 19:21:04 GMT
- Kate Bush follows her stage comeback to become the first woman to have eight albums in the chart at the same time.
- Original Jethro Tull bassist dies Sun, 31 Aug 2014 02:33:48 GMT
- Bassist Glenn Cornick, a founding member of the British rock band Jethro Tull who played on their biggest hits, has died at his home in Hawaii.
- Greenhouse gas fear over meat eating Mon, 01 Sep 2014 03:56:06 GMT
- New research estimates greenhouse gases from food production will go up 80% if meat and dairy consumption continues to rise at its current rate.
- Iceland issues new volcano alert Sun, 31 Aug 2014 16:17:46 GMT
- Iceland issues an aviation alert after a fresh lava eruption from a fissure near the Bardarbunga volcano, but the warning is later lowered.