"If none of us ever read a book that was 'dangerous,' had a friend who was 'different' or joined an organization that advocated 'change,' we would all be just the kind of people Joe McCarthy wants. Whose fault is that? Not really [McCarthy's]. He didn't create this situation of fear. He merely exploited it, and rather successfully."
—Edward R (oscoe) Murrow (1908-65) American news anchor, broadcast journalist
- Deadly virus kills Tunisian man Tue, 21 May 2013 14:43:16 GMT
- A man has died of the novel coronavirus (NCoV) in Tunisia, in what is believed to be the first such case in Africa.
- Jockey Ahern banned for 10 years Wed, 22 May 2013 17:17:54 GMT
- Jockey Eddie Ahern is banned for 10 years by the BHA for corruption, while Neil Clement receives a 15-year ban.
- Rose revels in Wentworth pressure Wed, 22 May 2013 16:32:13 GMT
- Justin Rose says he enjoys the pressure of the PGA Championship at Wentworth, close to where he grew up.
- Is fussball coming home? Wed, 22 May 2013 03:59:19 GMT
- Thousands of football fans are heading to Wembley for Saturday's all-German Champions League final. Is it the home of German football - as well as English?
- Is the English language conquering France? Wed, 22 May 2013 09:30:02 GMT
- French universities could teach in English. For some, this amounts to a betrayal of the national language - for others it's just accepting the inevitable.
- UN chief begins DR Congo visit Thu, 23 May 2013 03:58:50 GMT
- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon begins a trip to the Democratic Republic of Congo as fighting continues near the eastern city of Goma.
- Malaysia student on sedition charge Thu, 23 May 2013 07:33:20 GMT
- A Malaysian student is charged with sedition after calling for street protests against alleged fraud in the 5 May polls.
- Costa Concordia charges announced Wed, 22 May 2013 14:59:10 GMT
- The captain of the Costa Concordia cruise liner which ran aground off Italy will face trial on 9 July on multiple manslaughter charges, a judge rules.
- Farc deny kidnapping Spanish couple Wed, 22 May 2013 19:15:16 GMT
- The Colombian rebel group Farc denies taking part in the kidnapping of two Spanish tourists in the north-east of the country last Friday.
- Ahmadinejad to contest bar on ally Wed, 22 May 2013 11:38:32 GMT
- Iran's President Ahmadinejad says he will contest the disqualification of his ally Esfandiar Rahim Mashaei from next month's presidential poll.
- US 'faith healers' 'killed' own baby Thu, 23 May 2013 01:10:05 GMT
- A US couple who reject medicine in favour of faith healing are charged with murder in their infant son's death, four years after another son's death.
- GPs 'will not shore up unsafe NHS' Thu, 23 May 2013 01:31:30 GMT
- Family doctors are not prepared to shore up an emergency health care system left unsafe by "political meddling", a GP leader is to warn in a speech.
- Edward VIII was bugged, files show Thu, 23 May 2013 03:28:01 GMT
- King Edward VIII was bugged by the government at the height of the 1936 abdication crisis, files released by the National Archives show.
- Community nursing service under fire Thu, 23 May 2013 01:09:40 GMT
- Health unions say the state of NHS services for people who can't get to a GP in many parts of England is "lamentable".
- Chimney dismantled to rescue boy, 14 Thu, 23 May 2013 04:17:21 GMT
- Firefighters in South Lanarkshire dismantle a 20ft chimney stack, brick by brick, to rescue a boy, 14, who got wedged inside.