"A best seller was a book which somehow sold well simply because it was selling well."
—Daniel J (oseph) Boorstin (b. 1914) American Gov't Official, Librarian of Congress
- Youth-drug can 'reverse' ageing Fri, 20 Dec 2013 01:06:17 GMT
- US Scientists have performed a dramatic reversal of the ageing process in animal studies, by using a chemical to rejuvenate muscle in mice.
- IVF success rate 'could be doubled' Fri, 20 Dec 2013 01:06:30 GMT
- Researchers claim a new genetic screening method could raise the IVF success rate to 60% or more.
- Mackay told to resign or be sacked Thu, 19 Dec 2013 20:00:03 GMT
- Cardiff manager Malky Mackay is told by owner Vincent Tan to resign or he will be sacked, BBC Sport has learned.
- Wilshere to serve two-match ban Thu, 19 Dec 2013 20:03:05 GMT
- Arsenal star loses appeal over abusive gesture
- How a 16th Century library was looted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 01:14:58 GMT
- A gang of thieves succeeded in stealing thousands of books from one of Italy's oldest libraries - assisted by the librarian himself.
- Revisiting my grandfather's murder Thu, 19 Dec 2013 01:16:31 GMT
- Bangladesh is prosecuting people for war crimes committed 40 years ago - but are the trials fair?
- Uganda passes miniskirt ban law Thu, 19 Dec 2013 17:44:18 GMT
- Ugandan MPs pass a controversial anti-pornography bill, which will ban women from wearing miniskirts.
- China warship 'irresponsible': US Fri, 20 Dec 2013 03:22:17 GMT
- China was "irresponsible" during a near-collision of a US warship and a Chinese naval vessel earlier this month, US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel says.
- Yanukovych tells West to keep out Thu, 19 Dec 2013 12:22:59 GMT
- Ukraine's Russian-backed President, Viktor Yanukovych, says he is categorically opposed to Western politicians intervening in Ukraine's crisis.
- Saab wins $4.5bn Brazil jet contract Thu, 19 Dec 2013 09:34:22 GMT
- Shares in Sweden's Saab surge almost 30% after the company edges out rivals Boeing and Dassault to win a $4.5bn (£2.7bn) contract to supply Brazil's air force with new fighter jets.
- Syria abductions 'a terror strategy' Thu, 19 Dec 2013 12:32:20 GMT
- The Syrian government is systematically abducting civilians as part of a widespread campaign of terror, UN investigators say.
- US homeowner faces shooting trial Fri, 20 Dec 2013 01:59:51 GMT
- A homeowner in Detroit, Michigan, who fatally shot a young black woman on his porch is to stand trial for second-degree murder, a judge says.
- Call to act on prescription addicts Fri, 20 Dec 2013 03:00:43 GMT
- About 1.5 million people could be addicted to prescription drugs and the problem needs to be dealt with urgently, an influential group of MPs says.
- MPs call for payday loan advert ban Fri, 20 Dec 2013 00:08:03 GMT
- A committee of MPs has called for a ban on payday loan advertising on children's television, but the industry regards its report as wide of the mark.
- Sharp drop in 'concern' over debt Fri, 20 Dec 2013 00:07:19 GMT
- A survey for the Bank of England shows a reduction in households concerned about debt, but warns over the impact of rising interest rates.