"I am sure of this, that by going much alone a man will get more of a noble courage in thought and word than from all the wisdom that is in books."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- Crimea vote 'will not be recognised' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 14:58:47 GMT
- Ukraine's interim PM says "no-one in the civilised world" will recognise Crimea's referendum on joining Russia, as Moscow backs the vote.
- Anwar gets jail term for sodomy Fri, 07 Mar 2014 12:35:57 GMT
- A Malaysian court sentences opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim to five years in jail after overturning his acquittal on sodomy charges.
- Pistorius 'fired gun in anger' - ex Fri, 07 Mar 2014 14:53:57 GMT
- An ex-girlfriend tells the Oscar Pistorius trial that he fired a gun from a car, as a security guard tells of the shock of finding him with a dying Reeva Steenkamp.
- ICC convicts Congo militia leader Fri, 07 Mar 2014 12:54:06 GMT
- The International Criminal Court finds Congo militia leader Germain Katanga guilty of complicity in war crimes but acquits him of sexual offences.
- Sochi ready for biggest Paralympics Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:36:13 GMT
- Russia will welcome the sporting world back to Sochi on Friday when the opening ceremony takes place for the Winter Paralympics.
- Turkey PM warns social media sites Fri, 07 Mar 2014 12:21:53 GMT
- Turkey's Prime Minister Erdogan says his government could ban Facebook and YouTube, amid leaks suggesting government corruption.
- Officer dies in India navy accident Fri, 07 Mar 2014 13:24:18 GMT
- An Indian navy officer is killed and a number of people are injured in an accident on a ship at a Mumbai dockyard, officials say.
- Malaria 'spreading to new altitudes' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 01:13:24 GMT
- Warmer temperatures are causing malaria to spread in the African and South American highlands, traditionally havens from the disease, scientists say.
- 'Bitcoin creator' denies involvement Fri, 07 Mar 2014 11:45:05 GMT
- The man singled out by a magazine as being behind the virtual currency denies any involvement.
- Queensland hit by record drought Fri, 07 Mar 2014 06:16:44 GMT
- Australia's Queensland is suffering its most widespread drought on record, with almost 80% of the state now included in the list of affected areas.
- Landmark default in China solar firm Fri, 07 Mar 2014 06:36:07 GMT
- Chaori Solar becomes the first Chinese firm to default on its onshore corporate bonds, say media reports quoting the firm, after failing to make an interest payment.
- Schumacher condition 'not changed' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 09:53:14 GMT
- Doctors treating injured Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher are still working to bring him out of a coma.
- VIDEO: Teapot-shaped building causes a stir Fri, 07 Mar 2014 13:49:07 GMT
- A giant teapot-shaped building is about to be opened to the public in China's eastern city of Wuxi.
- VIDEO: 'I have nothing to do with Bitcoin' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:27:07 GMT
- Controversy is surrounding claims by Newsweek to have found the creator of the Bitcoin virtual currency.
- VIDEO: Drought threat looms over Kenya region Fri, 07 Mar 2014 06:23:13 GMT
- The Turkana region in northern Kenya is facing one of the worst droughts in living memory with more than 1m people in need of food aid.