"All of the books in the world contain no more information than is broadcast as video in a single large American city in a single year. Not all bits have equal value."
—Carl Sagan (b. 1934) American astronomer noted for research for extraterrestrial life
- S Africa 'day of prayer' for Mandela Sun, 08 Dec 2013 10:54:46 GMT
- South Africa holds a day of "prayer and reflection" for President Nelson Mandela, the first in a week of commemorative events.
- Thai opposition MPs pledge to resign Sun, 08 Dec 2013 11:22:47 GMT
- Thailand's opposition MPs are to resign en masse, officials say, after weeks of protests aimed at forcing out the government.
- S Korea expands air defence zone Sun, 08 Dec 2013 07:29:29 GMT
- South Korea expands its air defence zone after a similar announcement last month by China in an overlapping area raised regional tensions.
- French troops reach tense CAR town Sun, 08 Dec 2013 08:18:32 GMT
- French troops reach the town of Bossangoa in the Central African Republic, which has been paralysed by communal fighting.
- Missing Pakistanis appear in court Sat, 07 Dec 2013 23:58:34 GMT
- Fourteen prisoners alleged to have been held in secret and without charge by the Pakistani army appear before the Supreme Court in Islamabad.
- UN inspectors visit Iran reactor Sun, 08 Dec 2013 09:00:27 GMT
- Inspectors from the UN's nuclear agency visit the Arak heavy water reactor for the first time in more than two years.
- Cage aux Folles film director dies Sun, 08 Dec 2013 07:54:30 GMT
- Edouard Molinaro, who directed classic French farce La Cage aux Folles and other much-loved films, dies in Paris at the age of 85.
- Almodovar slams Spanish government Sun, 08 Dec 2013 10:03:11 GMT
- Spanish director Pedro Almodovar launches a scathing broadside at his homeland's government at this year's European Film Awards, calling it "deaf and insensitive" to the country's problems.
- Court frees pro-Morsi protest women Sat, 07 Dec 2013 17:27:48 GMT
- Twenty-one women and girls jailed in Egypt last month over a protest in support of ousted President Mohammed Morsi are freed by an appeal court.
- Car bomb killings blamed on Farc Sun, 08 Dec 2013 01:55:38 GMT
- Car bomb destroys police station in Colombia, killing at least eight people; authorities blame it on the country's biggest rebel group, the Farc.
- US citizen home after N Korea ordeal Sat, 07 Dec 2013 19:16:10 GMT
- US citizen Merrill Newman arrives in San Francisco after being released by North Korea after more than a month in detention there.
- Warning as flight schedules resume Sun, 08 Dec 2013 08:04:34 GMT
- Airline passengers are warned there could be further flight disruption because of Saturday's technical fault at the National Air Traffic Service.
- Prince's South Pole race 'suspended' Sat, 07 Dec 2013 19:14:10 GMT
- Prince Harry and his fellow competitors will no longer race to the South Pole because of safety concerns, the charity Walking With The Wounded confirms.
- N Korea 'edits out dismissed uncle' Sat, 07 Dec 2013 12:45:19 GMT
- North Korean TV reportedly removes footage of a powerful uncle of leader Kim Jong-un from a documentary, following reports of his dismissal.
- VIDEO: US gripped by winter storm Sun, 08 Dec 2013 05:32:40 GMT
- A deadly winter storm has left a trail of ice and snow across the United States.