"There is a difference between a book of two hundred pages from the very beginning, and a book of two hundred pages which is the result of an original eight hundred pages. The six hundred are there. Only you don't see them."
—Elie(zer) Wiesel (b. 1928) Romanian-born writer, lecturer, survivor Nazi camps, Nobel
- US troops in Poland for exercises Wed, 23 Apr 2014 22:28:38 GMT
- A first US contingent arrives in Poland for military exercises amid heightened tensions with Russia over Ukraine.
- Hamas and Fatah declare end to rift Wed, 23 Apr 2014 18:59:14 GMT
- Rival Palestinian factions Fatah and Hamas announce a reconciliation deal, saying they will seek to form a unity government in the coming weeks.
- Turkey: Armenia killings 'inhumane' Wed, 23 Apr 2014 16:59:46 GMT
- Turkey's Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan offers condolences for the first time for the mass killings of Armenians under Ottoman rule during WWI.
- S Sudan president sacks army chief Wed, 23 Apr 2014 23:48:17 GMT
- South Sudan's president sacks the head of the national army amid reports of military setbacks - including rebels seizing the oil hub of Bentiu.
- Debris dismissed in plane search Thu, 24 Apr 2014 00:28:25 GMT
- Authorities in Australia say material washed ashore is not related to the missing Malaysia Airlines plane.
- Obama pledges Japan islands support Wed, 23 Apr 2014 14:11:34 GMT
- US President Barack Obama tells Japan that islands it disputes with China are covered by a bilateral defence treaty, as he begins an Asian tour.
- Iran replaces prison service chief Wed, 23 Apr 2014 15:45:59 GMT
- The head of Iran's prison service is replaced following allegations that political prisoners were beaten by guards at Tehran's Evin jail last week.
- Facebook earnings surge on mobile ads Wed, 23 Apr 2014 20:43:34 GMT
- Facebook reports growing earnings on surging mobile advertising revenue as chief finance officer David Ebersman prepares to leave.
- Deadly car bomb strikes Nairobi Wed, 23 Apr 2014 20:46:40 GMT
- Four people, two of them police, are killed in the Kenyan capital Nairobi by a car bomb outside a police station.
- Police make Syria appeal to UK women Wed, 23 Apr 2014 23:01:37 GMT
- British counter-terrorism police chiefs are making an unprecedented appeal to Muslim women to urge men against travelling to possibly fight in Syria.
- Ecclestone trial to begin in Germany Wed, 23 Apr 2014 23:29:16 GMT
- Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone goes on trial on bribery charges in the German city of Munich, and could face 10 years in jail if convicted.
- VIDEO: 'We just want to live normally' Wed, 23 Apr 2014 05:19:03 GMT
- The BBC meets a pro-Russian family living in a rural area of Ukraine, who say their support for Moscow does not mean they are separatists.
- VIDEO: Andy Murray in tears at Stirling award Wed, 23 Apr 2014 13:55:42 GMT
- Tennis star Andy Murray has been awarded the freedom of Stirling in a ceremony which made the Wimbledon champion break down in tears.
- VIDEO: DJ Duke: Will and Kate hit the decks Wed, 23 Apr 2014 14:52:03 GMT
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have been taught how to DJ, during the latest leg of their royal tour of Australia.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Wed, 23 Apr 2014 20:54:07 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.