"There is no remedy so easy as books, which if they do not give cheerfulness, at least restore quiet to the most troubled mind."
—Lady Mary Wortley Montagu (1689-1762) English society figure, letter writer
- Bangladesh Islamist execution upheld Thu, 12 Dec 2013 06:53:06 GMT
- Bangladesh Supreme Court upholds death sentence for Islamist leader Abdul Kader Mullah, convicted of crimes against humanity.
- More wait to pay respects to Mandela Thu, 12 Dec 2013 05:49:07 GMT
- South Africans are expected once again to queue in their thousands to view the body of Nelson Mandela, which is due to lie in state for a second day.
- Australia court bans gay marriage Thu, 12 Dec 2013 03:20:16 GMT
- Australia's High Court has overturned legislation allowing gay marriage in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), rendering 27 gay marriages invalid.
- US considers sanctions against Ukraine Thu, 12 Dec 2013 04:39:45 GMT
- The US state department says it is considering all options, including sanctions, towards Ukraine after riot police moved in on protesters.
- Afghan capital blast 'an accident' Thu, 12 Dec 2013 06:42:42 GMT
- A powerful explosion in the Afghan capital, Kabul, was an accident at a depot for unexploded ordinance, Afghan officials say.
- Boeing wins $6.5bn Air Canada order Thu, 12 Dec 2013 02:03:30 GMT
- Air Canada orders 61 Boeing 737 MAX planes worth $6.5bn (£4.2bn) at list prices, a big win for the planemaker over rival Airbus.
- Cave holds stunning tsunami clues Thu, 12 Dec 2013 02:06:49 GMT
- A cave on the northwestern coast of Sumatra holds a remarkable record of big tsunamis in the Indian Ocean stretching back thousands of years.
- Syrian refugees hit by Lebanon storm Thu, 12 Dec 2013 00:23:07 GMT
- The UN is "extremely concerned" for Syrian refugees in Lebanon as a winter storm brings snow, high winds and freezing temperatures to the country.
- Senate aide held over child porn Thu, 12 Dec 2013 00:36:42 GMT
- A top Republican senator's chief of staff is arrested on suspicion of possession and distribution of child pornography, the US authorities say.
- Australia PM holds Toyota talks Thu, 12 Dec 2013 02:20:55 GMT
- Australia's government is holding talks with Toyota as it looks to convince the firm to continue manufacturing cars there.
- Mexico moves to open oil resources Wed, 11 Dec 2013 20:24:38 GMT
- Mexico's Senate approves a measure to open the state-run oil fields to foreign investment for the first time in 75 years.
- New Zealand drops Pike River charges Thu, 12 Dec 2013 04:35:19 GMT
- New Zealand's government drops charges against the head of a coal mine where 29 miners were killed in a 2010 blast, angering relatives of the miners.
- Outcry over 'fake' Mandela signer Wed, 11 Dec 2013 23:25:04 GMT
- Sign language experts and deaf viewers complain that the interpreter at Nelson Mandela's memorial service was a "fake" who was "signing rubbish".
- Pope named Time's Person of the Year Wed, 11 Dec 2013 18:24:12 GMT
- Time Magazine names Pope Francis as its Person of the Year, saying he has pulled "the papacy out the palace and into the streets".
- VIDEO: Refugees 'burning shoes to survive' Wed, 11 Dec 2013 19:39:47 GMT
- Hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees living in makeshift camps along the Syria-Lebanon border are being forced to improvise to survive harsh winter conditions without aid.