"Wherever they burn books, they will also, in the end, burn people."
—Heinrich Heine (1797-1856) German writer, romantic poet, social essays
- Ferry transcript reveals crew panic Sun, 20 Apr 2014 15:05:21 GMT
- The last communications between the South Korean ferry that sank on Wednesday and traffic services reveal panic and indecision by the crew.
- Russian outrage at Ukraine killing Sun, 20 Apr 2014 18:29:49 GMT
- The Russian foreign ministry expresses outrage at a fatal shooting incident in eastern Ukraine which it blames on Ukrainian nationalists.
- Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies Sun, 20 Apr 2014 16:51:06 GMT
- Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, the US boxer whose wrongful conviction for murder caused an international outcry, dies aged 76.
- Hostage reporters 'chained' in Syria Sun, 20 Apr 2014 10:11:44 GMT
- Four French journalists who spent 10 months in captivity in Syria were chained to each other and kept in basements without light, one recounts.
- Abdullah 'extends Afghan poll lead' Sun, 20 Apr 2014 15:27:40 GMT
- Afghan presidential candidate Abdullah Abdullah has extended his lead over his rival Ashraf Ghani, latest results from the presidential polls suggest.
- Algeria militants kill 14 soldiers Sun, 20 Apr 2014 14:36:05 GMT
- Islamist militants kill 14 Algerian soldiers in an ambush on a military convoy in mountains east of the capital Algiers.
- IPL investigative panel appointed Sun, 20 Apr 2014 18:51:22 GMT
- India's cricket board appoints a three-member investigative panel to look into allegations of corruption in the Indian Premier League.
- Yemen drone strike kills militants Sun, 20 Apr 2014 13:33:17 GMT
- A drone attack in south Yemen has killed at least three suspected al-Qaeda fighters, defence officials and local tribal chiefs say.
- Everest avalanche search abandoned Sun, 20 Apr 2014 13:17:43 GMT
- The search for three Sherpa guides, missing after an avalanche on Mount Everest killed 13 of their colleagues, is called off.
- VIDEO: Pro-Russians 'shot dead in Ukraine' Sun, 20 Apr 2014 13:28:54 GMT
- Russian media is reporting that up to 5 people were killed after gunmen attacked a checkpoint manned by pro-Russian activists near Sloviansk.
- VIDEO: Baby prince meets a Bilby at the zoo Sun, 20 Apr 2014 06:51:06 GMT
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge continued their royal tour of Australia with a tour of Taronga Zoo accompanied by their son Prince George.
- VIDEO: Pope prays for Syria and Ukraine Sun, 20 Apr 2014 10:50:56 GMT
- The pope has prayed for an end to conflicts around the world including in Syria and Ukraine, in his Easter address.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sun, 20 Apr 2014 15:48:10 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Pakistan protest over shot journalist Sun, 20 Apr 2014 15:05:06 GMT
- Media workers across Pakistan have held angry protests after a leading journalist was shot and wounded on Saturday.
- VIDEO: Christians mark Easter in tense Ukraine Sun, 20 Apr 2014 07:03:23 GMT
- Orthodox Christians in Ukraine are celebrating Easter although the situation in the country remains unstable.