"Under any conditions, anywhere, whatever you are doing, there is some ordinance under which you can be booked."
—Robert D. Sprecht
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Mon, 10 Mar 2014 03:17:15 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Missing Malaysia jet 'a mystery' Mon, 10 Mar 2014 07:39:08 GMT
- Malaysia says it is widening the search for the airliner that disappeared on a flight to Beijing on Friday night.
- VIDEO: Russian troops 'seen digging in' Sun, 09 Mar 2014 22:47:15 GMT
- Ukraine's Border Guard Service has published a video it says was filmed from one of its surveillance planes on Saturday.
- VIDEO: 'Serious funding shortfall' in Syria Sun, 09 Mar 2014 18:37:19 GMT
- The World Food Programme says it has a serious funding shortfall for its work in Syria.
- VIDEO: Rubbish piles up on Rio streets Fri, 07 Mar 2014 22:14:20 GMT
- Rio Carnival officially ended on Wednesday but piles of rubbish left on the city's streets are still waiting be collected.
- VIDEO: Japanese astronaut takes ISS command Mon, 10 Mar 2014 02:30:28 GMT
- Koichi Wakata is the first Japanese astronaut in history to take up the post of commander on the International Space Station
- Missing flood fish found in puddle Sun, 09 Mar 2014 14:02:31 GMT
- A metre-long fish that escaped from an aquatic centre during recent floods is recovered from a puddle at a local car wash.
- Japan in record deficit, growth slows Mon, 10 Mar 2014 01:49:53 GMT
- Japan's current account deficit hits a record 1.5tn yen ($15bn; £8.7bn) in January, as economic growth figures are revised downwards.
- Tencent buys 15% stake in JD.com Mon, 10 Mar 2014 07:37:11 GMT
- China's Tencent Holdings buys a 15% stake in e-commerce site JD.com as it looks to grab a larger share of the country's online shopping market.
- Facebook's WhatsApp purchase opposed Fri, 07 Mar 2014 14:48:36 GMT
- Facebook's purchase of WhatsApp - one of the biggest ever tech acquisitions - runs into trouble over privacy concerns.
- Samsung launches free music streaming Fri, 07 Mar 2014 21:25:14 GMT
- The world's biggest smartphone maker, Samsung, launches a free music streaming service called Milk Music.
- Spain opera director Mortier dies Sun, 09 Mar 2014 12:03:36 GMT
- Gerard Mortier, who spearheaded an operatic production of Brokeback Mountain at Madrid's Teatro Royal, dies aged 70.
- Gravity cameraman collects honour Sun, 09 Mar 2014 10:10:28 GMT
- The chief cameraman on Oscar-winning film Gravity wins an award for his work at a ceremony which also honours late camera operator Sarah Jones.
- Great Walls 'could stop tornadoes' Sat, 08 Mar 2014 03:27:49 GMT
- Building gigantic walls across the US could protect Tornado Alley "forever", a physicist says, though critics say the idea is unworkable.
- Tree storm damage 'worst since 1987' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 09:52:48 GMT
- This winter's extreme winds caused the biggest loss of trees in in more than 20 years, according to the National Trust.